Librarians Surprise Students with Book Deliveries

School librarian Jillian Woychowski and technology para-professional/bus driver Joe Winters traveled around Friday in a “big yellow limo” dropping off “The Lunar Chronicles” books at the homes of about a dozen WHHS students.

The winning students were selected by Ms. Woychowski and WHHS English teachers, who nominated students they knew would enjoy the books.

Craig Winkle, owner of Winkle Bus Company in West Haven, donated the bus for the day and the fuel.

West Haven Elementary School Librarian Ariel Wander got the books through a donation from First Book Marketplace, a Washington DC-based nonprofit.

Aside from Marissa Meyer’s “The Lunar Chronicles,” First Book also donated copies of “Sam & Ilsa’s Last Hurrah” by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn, “Thirteen Reasons Why,” by Jay Asher and “The Chew Back 2 Back” cookbook to West Haven students.

Junior Desiree Wilkes said she didn’t know what to think when she saw the bus pull up to her house.

They were so overjoyed, every single one of them.

— Jillian Woychowski, librarian

“I thought I might be getting into trouble even though I knew I didn’t do anything wrong!” she said.

Wilkes said she hadn’t heard of “The Lunar Chronicles” before, but she’s glad to add the series to her book collection.

“I am excited to read them because the books seem to be a cross between magic, fairy tales, and romance,” she said. “Perfect for summer reading!”

Mrs. Woychowski said the day was a fun break from the quarantine.

“We had such a good time driving all over, it was nice to get out of the house even if it was only to drive a bus around,” she said, adding that the students seemed thrilled with the surprise.

“They were so overjoyed, every single one of them,” Mrs. Woychowski said.