Club Helps Students With Scholarship Search

Rodjae Smith, Reporter

The Scholarship Club is a group that helps students tap into sources of funding for college.

Patrick Fallon, adviser of the club, helps students find scholarship opportunities during the club meetings, which are every Tuesday on Zoom from 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Mr. Fallon helps students understand why community service and being involved in school is important in the scholarship process. He also helps them learn how to write a resume and emphasizes the importance of a good GPA and transcript.

The goal for members of the club is to fill out one scholarship application each week, although Mr. Fallon has observed it’s sometimes a challenge for students to meet that goal.

“It takes a lot of dedication to actually find scholarships,” he said.

Members are a part of a Google Classroom, where they are actively able to apply for scholarships for any academic majors they are interested in.

“My job is to get them more aware of the multiple different areas and the secrets to find different areas for scholarships,” Mr. Fallon said.

In the Google Classroom there is a space for students who would like him to proofread a draft of their application before submitting.

The club was originally targeted toward seniors, but now students in all grades are invited to attend.

“I wanted to incorporate more of the undergraduate, because of the concept that colleges are really looking for students to be actively involved earlier in their life,” Mr. Fallon said.

Mr. Fallon has had a brief background in student affairs at the college level. He received a Master’s in Higher Education Administration from Northeastern University, was a Resident Assistant at Western Connecticut State University, and worked in other areas of student affairs, including admissions. Through his brief experience, he gained insider knowledge and got a taste of what colleges look for when reviewing scholarships.

Students can join the club simply by joining the club’s Google Classroom page, which uses the code ht7763i, Remind 101 @whhssch, or through its Instagram Page @whhs_collegelife