Unified Sports Brings Students Together

Takiya Awwal, Reporter

The Unified Sports Team, a group where students with and without disabilities come together, needs volunteers and participants. The team plays soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and track and field in the spring.

“We get to go to these really big tournaments with tons and tons of schools here in Connecticut, and we always end the tournaments with a pizza party,” Unified Sports Coach Anya Farber said. “So it’s a good time all around.”

Practices are on Tuesdays from 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. All students involved are provided transportation home. Like all other sports, this team has to follow mask mandates. When outside and safely social distancing, the masks may be removed, but when indoors they must be worn. 

To play on the team, students can go to PowerSchool and fill out the “Athletics Registration Form.” Those who are willing to volunteer can email Ms. Farber (anya.farber@whschools.org) or the other coach, Camdyn Morgillo (camdyn.morgillo@whschools.org).  

Ms. Farber said volunteers will get community service hours, but a whole lot more from the experience.

“I think you are having more fun than you realize while you’re participating and you’re getting the volunteer hours on top of everything else, plus the pizza,” Ms. Farber said.