Biomedical Program Offers Project-Based Learning

Danielle Ricketts, Class of 2022

West Haven High School provides many opportunities for students interested in biomedical science to take classes related to this field. This is possible because of the school’s partnership with the Project Lead The Way (PLTW) organization, allowing the school access to its STEM curricula. 

There are four classes in this program, usually taken in the following order: Principles of Biomedical Sciences, Human Body Systems, Medical Interventions then Biomedical Innovations.

If a student successfully completes a test written by the organization at the end of the academic year, they may receive three college credits at one of the many institutions that partner with the PLTW organization.

If a student takes all four classes offered, there is potential to earn 12 credits for college before enrolling in an institution.

“Anyone interested in Health Science, Forensics, Biomedical Engineering… Pharmacology, Drug Research, Medical Research, lots of different fields,” should think about taking these courses, said Terrie Hartsoe, one of the STEM biomedical teachers at the high school. 

These biomedical courses differ from regular science classes at West Haven High. 

“I like that it gives kids early insight into the medical field and gives us knowledge that the typical high school biology or chemistry class can’t,” senior Aissatou Diallo said.

Mrs. Hartsoe also wanted to highlight that these classes are “project-based” and “collaborative.”

Many graduates who have participated in these programs go on to do very well in the biomedical field of their choosing.