Metal Detectors Provide Additional Layer of Security

Caesar Wilson, Class of 2022

West Haven High School’s new metal detectors are providing an additional layer of security to keep our students and staff safe. 

The catalyst for this new measure, which started in January, began with the uptick in school-based violence over the past few years. 

“It’s something we had been considering for some time, but the shooting in Oxford, Michigan was really the tipping point,” Principal Dana Paredes said. “It’s another layer of mitigation to keep our students safe.”

Though it was presumed there would be quite the hold-up each morning, students have been able to make it to their classes in a timely manner, despite the mild traffic. 

Mrs. Parades said it has “been a much smoother process than I even anticipated.” 

Students can get through the detectors quickly by putting everything possible in their bookbags, including earbuds, phones, keys, even glasses. They should then unzip their backpack, put it on the table, and walk through the detector. By putting those items in their backpacks, students can avoid having to be wanded.

The metal detectors were funded locally by our Board of Education, Mrs. Paredes said.

If a student were to refuse to go through the detector, they would be denied entry into the building and the school resource officers would become involved, she said.

Mrs. Paredes credits the smooth implementation of the detectors to the students and the many staff members who volunteer to run the operation

“The main reason it has gone so smoothly is because, number one, our kids have been so incredibly cooperative, and because we have so many volunteers in the morning,” she said.

As an additional security measure, in February the school is rolling out an initiative to make sure all students wear their IDs in the building at all times. School staff will be vigilant about checking for IDs. Students who don’t have an ID should inform their homeroom teacher or stop by the main office.