SADD Shows Students the TRUE Danger of Impaired Driving

Dakota Willette, Reporter

The Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) Club sponsored a mock car crash on April 20th to demonstrate the dangers caused by impaired and distracted driving.

Members of the Junior and Senior classes watched as students from the SADD club acted as the victims of a car crash. The West Haven Fire Department, West Haven Police Department, American Medical Response, West Haven Prevention Council, West Haven Funeral Home, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) worked together to make the crash look as realistic as possible.

SADD Advisor James Lafo said he hopes the event helped students recognize the dangers of distracted driving.

“I want to thank everyone who was involved in the crash, especially all the first responders who made this possible,” Mr. Lafo said. “There are many moving parts to this event. but if one person remembers one part to help them make a better decision in regards to drinking and driving or distracted driving it will be a major success.”

SADD member Grace Nowak also said she hopes the event made an impact on students.

“It was nice to see how drunk driving truly affects people and their lives and remember never drive under the influence,” Nowak said.

The Grim Reaper went around the building throughout the school day on Wednesday as another way of reminding students and teachers of the dangers of distracted and impaired driving.