The Student News Site of West Haven High School

The Rostrum

The Rostrum

The Rostrum

Thurs. 3/14 Announcements

We don’t have an episode today because our news team was busy with SAT-Day activities yesterday. So here are your announcements…

First of all, a HUGE congratulations to our boys basketball team for making it to the CIAC state championships! The game will be this weekend at Mohegan Sun. The day and time are TBD. The team made it to the finals by beating Stamford Tuesday night 46-32.  Check out this great story by WTNH about Tuesday’s game.

Attention everyone participating in Mr. Westie: come to the meeting in F219 after school on today.

A representative from Gateway will be in the Career Center today during Block 1 for any students interested.

Dungeons and Dragons will be meeting today in F215.

The next meeting for The Rostrum will be today in room F116. If you want to join our school news team come on by!

The Muslim Student Association’s annual hijab day will be taking place tomorrow. The MSA will be in the lobby all day and everyone is welcome to come try on hijab and ask any questions.

Do you want to learn how to play golf? Or maybe you just want to improve your game? If so, come to an informational meeting about our golf club on March 27th in H203.

Spring sports tryouts will be on March 16th for lacrosse, track and softball. Baseball tryouts will be on both the 16th and the 17th at 10 am. Tennis tryouts will be on March 19th.

The next meeting for the GSA will be in D314 on March 20th. All are welcome!

The Italian Club will be traveling to Bailey on Wednesday 3/20. They’ll be making friendship bracelets. See Mrs. Porto for more information.

The Class of 2025 Junior Class Council meets weekly on Fridays in the Library Conference Room immediately after school with Mrs. W. and Mr. Dickson.

The next meeting for the METAPHYSICAL MONDAYS club will be held after school on March 18th in room D314 with Madame Reichert. The topic will be ghosts and hauntings.

The Red Cross Club meets today after school from 1:50 to 2:40 in B209. This club is for everyone who is interested in advocating and volunteering during a natural crisis and for public health, among other causes.

West Whims, our school’s Literary and Art magazine, needs your artwork and writing! They are looking for drawings, paintings, photography, poetry, short stories or any other creative work they can print. Please submit them in person or digitally to Mr. D in H205 or Mrs. Lucibelli in H209. They will be accepting submissions until Thursday March 28th.

Our School Based Health Center will reopen this week! Our new SBHC is in partnership with Cornell Scott. Paper applications can be picked up in the nurse’s office. Online registration will be available next week. The SBHC will offer the same services as a primary care physician, and can be utilized in place of or in partnership with your own physician. There are no co-pays, and students without insurance are seen free of charge

HOSA is holding a community-wide book drive in collaboration with other clubs such as SAVE, Student Government, Italian and The Rostrum! They will be collecting any gently used books starting this week until April. You can drop them off in any club advisors’ room or in room F119. Help us support the legacy of reading!

Retired Jet Pilot Nick Graham will be speaking to the Aerospace Engineering class during Period 5 on Friday, March 22nd in Room F124. That will be Block 2. Please see Mr. Rice in F124 to sign up or see Ms. McDonnell in the Career Center.

Professors from the University of New Haven’s Electrical and Computer Engineering program will be visiting our school on March 20th during period 1, which is block 1 that day. Sign Up with Mr. Rice F124 or see Ms. McDonnell in the Career Center. The professors will be giving a presentation about the Computer and Electrical Engineering Program at UNH. Opportunities for women in engineering at UNH will also be presented

Big Events & Fundraisers

The Junior Prom will be held at Cielo on Friday, April 26th from 6 to 10 pm. Tickets will be on sale from April 1st to April 12th before school and during homeroom in the library. Tickets are $40 per person, cash only, and students must show their school ID and signed prom contract at the time of purchase. This event is limited to 120 students, so don’t wait to purchase your ticket! Paper contracts will be available for pick up in the library starting March 18th.

The Class of 2027 gear fundraiser is back by popular demand. This time you can get a custom hoodie or T-shirt. They’ll be accepting orders from March 18th to April 1st.

Buy a Westie T-shirt to help raise money for our senior scholarship fund. See Robin in school counseling to make a purchase.

Tickets for the Theatre Workshop’s spring musical “Newsies” are now on sale! The performances will be on April 4th to 6th. Please help support the Theatre Workshop by purchasing a ticket that is valid for EVERY DAY in March! The cost is $15 and they take Venmo, cash or check.

Come on down to Westies Nutrition on Friday March 29th from 8 to 3 pm! What is a better way to spend a day off by getting some Westies and supporting our Theater Program!!